Monday, May 12, 2008

Bongo's Medicine Bag

Bongo started to run crazy as soon as he saw me approaching yesterday. If you know Bongo, that is really nothing unusual as he loves people. I have often commented that I don't know how he can be such a good hunter because he talks so much. This time he was quiet as he leaped through the air, over bushes and around palmetto bushes. It wasn't long before I saw him swatting something and coming towards me.

Bongo had received some enrichment, and even though the bag was torn up, I noticed he was showing me that he was purposely putting some things into his bag. I watched him for a few minutes to make sure this was precisely what he was doing because I thought my mind was playing tricks, but it wasn't. He gave me the vision of a medicine bag like the Native Americans used. I crouched down to see if I could get a glimpse of what he had managed to collect.

There were some of the spices left that the volunteers had stuffed the bag with which included allspice, cinnamon and pumpkin spice. I saw a couple of blades of scented grass that he must have collected as he rolled it around, a small piece of tree root stuck out of a hole he had torn in the bag, some sort of stone clicked another one and a neck bone that he had not finished made his collection complete. He now had gathered his momentos in which he could create magic, and indeed he did. His collection of "charms" warmed my heart and made me appreciate how the small things in life can mix together to give everything a bigger purpose.