Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What's In Your Heart?

In February, everywhere we look, we can see hearts. Big and small hearts, red and pink hearts, chocolate hearts, strong and weak hearts, open and closed hearts are just a sampling of what we think of this month. These are only descriptions of a heart, but what is in the heart? I decided to ask the cats what was in their hearts. Every day for the rest of the month, we will hear from a different cat as they share what is in their hearts. The first one who wanted to share was Shadow. This shouldn't come as any surprise.

"Munching on a bitter blade of grass makes my stomach feel better, but the grass doesn't taste good anymore. The colors are not as bright when I look at the leaves and flowers. The trees don't provide the thick shade like they used to, and I don't have as many bugs to chase at night. I don't get much relief from the heat because it stays hot more. The air is filled with many smells now. My home is not the same."

Is it possible what's in Shadow's heart is making us aware of making compassionate choices that will consider the environment so he will have a better home?