Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Shadow Knows

I am always reminded why big cats don't make good pets when it comes to feeding time. No matter how cute and sweet they are as they lure you into complacency, when the food appears, so does the wild cat. Thanksgiving is always a nice time for the cats because of the different food they receive. Whether it be a turkey, cornish hen or some other kind of fowl, I stand in awe as they devour their fresh food. Wondering what the cats thought about this special meal, I knew immediately who to ask because as always, The Shadow Knows.

I felt guilty as I asked Shadow how he was enjoying his meal. "I want this everyday," he replied. I smiled and said, "You are already big enough, Shadow. If you eat like this everyday, we'll have to expand your Cat-A-Tat." Shadow continued to eat as he said, "To keep my body strong, I need whole food. Whole food is good food." As Shadow spoke this truth, my mind went back to when I was a child, and my grandmother always grew our vegetables. She would make homemade biscuits with all the fixings. Through the years, as time has accelerated, we have forgotten that whole food is good food. What we tend to consume these days has been processed, and there is very little nourishment. As a result, our health has suffered.

"Yes, whole food is good food, Shadow." Maybe Thanksgiving should be called Thanks-Living as the animals remind us to enjoy health, we have to be whole and that includes good food. Another revelation from a cat we can count on because The Shadow Knows. From all the big cats and volunteers from Big Cat Rescue, Happy Thanksgiving!