Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Shadow Knows

Last year when I first volunteered at the sanctuary, I couldn't hardly find the cats when I would go and clean their Cat-A-Tats because of the lush green foliage that flourished at the expense of my vision. Some of the foliage were weeds and to me, a weed is any plant that grows where it isn't wanted. It was a constant battle to pull and trim the weeds as I would slowly make my way around their Cat-A-Tat's looking for their latest deposits. This year has been no different. As I was wiping the sweat from my face, I kept thinking of the old sayings I remembered as a child about weeds when I heard "there are no weeds." I scurried over to the familiar voice informing me "there are no weeds" to understand why this is so and that only apparently The Shadow Knows.

I had the evidence in my hands when I showed Shadow the weeds. "Weeds, Shadow. These are weeds." His tail twitched as he spoke, "In the wild, there is no such thing as a weed. Nature accommodates and integrates all forms of life. In nature, balance is achieved over the long-term without the aid of or interference of a human supervisor." As I was considering that Shadow thought of me as a interfering supervisor of weeds, he continued, "Even though one plant may prevail over others for a period of time, it will eventually reach it's peak and then decline, allowing others to be born and survive. It's a self-regulating process."

I had not looked at a weed serving any purpose other than being an unwanted intruder nor had I thought about it's possible uses including being a necessary part of a natural cycle. A weed is a messenger from the wilderness of Mother Earth reminding me to consider my actions and how they are affecting the balance of nature as I quickly learned from what The Shadow Knows.