Monday, July 31, 2006

Shaquille's Power Moves


The audience grows quiet as the lights dim. A loud voice announces the next performance. Rushing out to light the giant hoop, the man signals to me it is time as my moment is here. I patiently wait on the stool, watching the flames shoot high in the air. My muscles tense, and my heart starts to pound, as fear races through my body. The crackling sound of the whip, snapping as it hits the floor, spurs my body into motion. I pace around the flaming hoop again and again until at last, I know I must jump through the ring of fire. As I approach the hoop, I hesitate, feeling the heat long before it brushes my skin, remembering a different heat my body will produce from the beatings I will endure if I do not perform. I do not jump. This is not who I am.

Shaquille is sharing with you a power move. Nothing has ever happened in the past that can prevent you from being in the present moment and BE who you are. If the past cannot prevent you from being in the present moment and BE who you are, what power does it have? None. It is an illusion. What keeps you from BEING in the present moment? Only the present moment holds the power to move you to BE who you are.